It  would  take  many  pages  to  explain  why  the  Great  War  happened.  In  short,  the  competition  for  economic domination  in  Europe  between  Great  Britain  and Germany  was  the  reason  it  did.  The  Germans  produced most  of  Europe’s  steel,  which  gave  them  the  upper hand  as  a  power  player  in  European  politics,  but  Great Britain  still  had  a  stronger  navy.  Basically,  the  British were  not  about  to  be  pushed  aside  by  the  new  kid  on the  block,  Germany.  The  sabers  started  rattling  in Europe  and  the  smaller  countries  began  allying themselves  with  either  Great  Britain  or  Germany.  By  1913,  Europe  was  a  powder  keg  waiting  to  explode. The  spark  came  on  June  28,  1914,  in  Sarajevo, Yugoslavia,  when  a  Serbian  nationalist  assassinated an  Austrian  Duke  and  his  wife.  The  Austrian  Duke was  an  ally  of  Germany.  The  Serbs  were  supported  by Russia.  Russia  was  allied  to  France.  France  was  allied to  Great  Britain.  It  was  a  domino  effect.  The  great armies  were  mobilized.  On  August  4,  1914,  Germany invaded  Belgium  to  attack  France.  The  British  army sailed  across  the  English  Channel  to  attack  the Germans.  Germany’s  generals  were  confident  that  they had  the  resources,  manpower  and  technology  to  win the  war  by  Christmas  1914.  The  British  and  French generals  believed  they  also  had  the  combined  resources and  technology  to  win  the  war  by  Christmas.  The generals  never  thought  the  war  would  drag  on  as  long as  it  did.  Germany  had  a  larger  population  than  Great Britain,  which  meant  they  could  replace  soldiers  faster than  the  British.  Great  Britain  needed  help  from  its colonies,  one  of  those  colonies  being  Canada,  which had  a  small  population  of  eight  million  people.  One in  eleven  Canadians  joined  up.

In 1915, an  Algonquin  man  working  as  a lumberjack  earned  between  75  and  90  cents  a  day  in the  lumber  camps,  or  roughly  twenty  dollars  a  month. The  Canadian  army  promised  one  dollar  and  ten  cents a  day,  or  thirty-three  dollars  a  month.  That  was  a  good deal  for  a  single  man,  but  it  was  even  better  if  he  was married  with  children;  the  wife  left  behind  got  twenty- fifve  dollars  a  month  as  separation  allowance,  plus  an extra  fifteen  dollars  a  month  for  each  child.  This  was better  money  than  these  men  could  ever  make  in  the bush  and  the  army  would  feed,  clothe  and  furnish  them with  extra  socks  and  boots  that  they  could  never  get from  the  lumber  camps.  War  is  hell,  but  it  paid  better. The  extra  money  meant  that  their  loved  ones  could eat  better  and  buy  warm  clothes,  and  they  wouldn’t have  to  beg  the  Indian  Agent  for  handouts  anymore.

These  are  their  stories:  the  Algonquin  men  of  River Desert  who  enlisted  in  the  Great  War…


The  Men  of  the  Canadian Forestry  Corps

Private  John  Baptiste  Cooko, 297235. Enlisted  on  March  13,  1916.

Private John Baptiste Cooko

John  was  born  on  September  12, 1873.  He  was  married  to  Bridget Chabot  when  he  joined  the  224th Canadian  Forestry  Battalion.  After  training  at  Camp Valcartier,  John  and  his  comrades  of  the  224th  Battalion embarked  on  the  train  that  took  them  to  Halifax,  Nova Scotia.  On  April 18, 1916,  they  embarked  on  the troopship  SS  Missanabie.  John  landed  at  Liverpool, England,  ten  days  later  on  April  28,  1916.  The  224th Battalion  was  posted  outside  London,  England,  where John  worked  chopping  trees  into  lumber  for  the  war effort.  John  weighed  145  pounds

on  a  5  foot  8  inch frame.  The  average  height  of  men  for  this  era  was  5 feet  5  inches,  which  made  John  taller  than  most.  He must  have  been  doing  an  excellent  job  lumberjacking in  England  because  on  June  19,  1917,  John  received his  transfer  orders  to  the  46th  Company,  Canadian Forestry  Corps  in  France,  where  he  remained  until  the end  of  the  war.  He  came  home  on  the  SS  Aquitania and  walked  down  the  gangplank  at  Halifax  on  January 27,  1919.  From  the  moment  he  enlisted  in  March  1916 and  until  he  received  his  military  discharge  at  Ottawa on  February  20,  1919,  John  assigned  fifteen  dollars  of his  monthly  pay  to  help  his  wife  and  three  small  boys: Louis,  6,  Dominic,  4,  and  Michael,  2.


Seven  Algonquin  men  signed  up  in  the  summer  of  1916  at  Maniwaki  with  the  238th  Canadian  Forestry Battalion.  They  were  all  seasonal  lumberjacks.  Some were  living  at  River  Desert  and  others  at  Baskatong. They  were  all  sent  to  Camp  Valcartier  near  Quebec City,  where  they  took  their  basic  training  and  were indoctrinated  into  the  disciplined   existence  of  army
life.  On  September  7, 1916,  the  seven  Algonquins boarded  the  train  that  would  take  them  from  Camp Valcartier  to  Halifax,  Nova  Scotia.  At  Halifax,  they embarked  on  the  troopship  SS  Scandinavia.  On September  11,  1916,  the  SS  Scandinavia  set  sail  for an  eleven-day  voyage  to  England  with  the  seven Algonquins  on  board.  They  disembarked  at  Liverpool,

England  on  September  22,  1916.  They  were,  in chronological  order  of  enlistment:

Joseph  Carle,  enlisted  June  22,  1916.
James  Brascoupe,  Sr.,  enlisted  June  27,  1916.

Peter  Dancey,  enlisted  June  27,  1916.
John  Carle,  enlisted  July  15,  1916.

Joseph  John  Baptist,  enlisted  July  15,  1916.

Jocko  McDougall,  enlisted  July  16,  1916.

Pierre  Clement  Jocko,  enlisted  July  29,  1916.

The  seven  Algonquins  were posted  at  Witley  Camp, England  and  remained  together  until  October  19,  1916, when  John  Carle  and  Joseph  John  Baptist  were transferred  to  the 14th  Company,  Canadian  Forestry Corps,  assembling  for  labour  duty  in  France.  On
November  6,  1916,  James  Brascoupe,  Joseph  Carle, Pierre  Clement  Jocko,  Peter  Dancey  and  Jocko McDougall  were  transferred  to  the  224th  Canadian Forestry  Battalion.  The  224th  was  based  outside  London, England  and  there  they  met  up  with  fellow  Algonquin
John  Baptiste  Cooko,  who  had  been  there  since  the previous  April.  They  were  together  until  June  19,  1917, when  John  Baptiste  Cooko  was  transferred  to  France with  the  46th  Company,  Canadian  Forestry  Corps.


Private  Joseph  Carle,  1036077. Enlisted  June  22,  1916.

Private Joseph Carle

 According  to  the  church  records for  Maniwaki  compiled  between  the years  1842  and  1899,  Joseph  was born  on  January  29,  1896,  but  on his  enlistment  papers  he  gave  his date  of  birth  as  January  15,  1895. Discrepancy  aside,  he  was  the  son  of  John  Carle  and Marie-Anne  Chibayatig.  Joseph’s  mother  died  on  May 10, 1897.  Mary-Ann  Budge  of  Maniwaki  became Joseph’s  foster  mother  and  raised  him.

Joseph  was of  average  height  and  build  at  5  feet  4  inches  tall  and 130  pounds.  He  had  a  good  service  record  while working  as  a  lumberjack  with  the  224th  Canadian Forestry  Battalion  at  London,  England.  Joseph remained  in  London  until  he  received  his  sailing  orders for  Canada  on  June  24,  1919.  He  was  discharged  at Ottawa  on  July  7, 1919.  During  his  three  years  of service,  he  assigned  20  dollars  of  his  monthly  pay  to his  foster  mother,  Mary-Ann  Budge,  at  Maniwaki.


Corporal  James Brascoupe,  Sr.,  1036156. Enlisted  on  June  27,  1916.

Caporal James Brascoupe


A big  lumberjack  who  stood 5  feet  10  inches  tall  and weighed   a  strapping 170 pounds,  he  was  known  as “Kichi-Jim.”  Big  Jim  was  born  on April 15, 1888,  to  parents unknown,   but  was  adopted  and raised  by  Xavier  and  Maggie Brascoupe  of  River  Desert.  Big Jim  was  posted  to  the  224th Canadian  Forestry  Battalion based  near  London,  England. Being  stationed  close  to  London […]  Big  Jim  met  a  young  Scottish  girl  there. Her  name  was  Marguerite.  They  courted  and  Big  Jim asked  the  permission  of  his  commanding  officer  to  marry Miss  Marguerite  Alexander.  On  March  21,  1918,  he  did.  On  March  31,  1918,  he  became  Corporal  James Brascoupe.  Big  Jim  and  his  war  bride  received  their  sailing orders  for  Canada  on  August  8,  1919,  disembarking  at Quebec  City  on  August  17,  1919.  Big  Jim  was  discharged that  same  day  and  he  and  Marguerite  jumped  the  train  for Ottawa  and  then  to  Maniwaki,  where  they  spent  the  rest of  their  lives  together.




Private  Peter  Dancey, 1036159.Enlisted  on  June  27,  1916.

Private Peter Dancey

Peter  was  born  on  April  20, 1876.  He  was  the  smallest  of the  bunch  at  5  feet  3  inches tall.  He  worked  as  a  lumberjack with   the 224th   Canadian Forestry  Battalion  based  near London,  England.  He  came
home  on  May  11,1919,  aboard the  troopship  SS  Saturnia.  He was  discharged  at  Kingston. Ontario  on  May  26,  1919.  For the  thirty-five  months  that Peter  was  in  service,  he assigned  twenty  dollars  of  his monthly  pay  to  help  his  wife,  Sosie  Sheesheeb,  and their  two  children,  Julia  and  Angus.


Private  John  Carle, 1036272. Enlisted  on  July  15,  1916.

Private John Carle

John  was  born  on  August  31, 1871.  John  was  a  rugged, powerfully  built  man  at  5  feet 10  inches  tall  and  180  pounds. This  was  a  massive  man  in  a time  when  the  average  height for  men  was  5  feet  5  inches  tall. On  November  27,  1916,  John went  to  France  with  the  14th Company,  Canadian  Forestry Corps.  The  14th  Company  was sent  to  a  forested  area  in Normandy    called    Bois Normand  to  fell  trees  and  cut  sawn-lumber  for  the  British and  Canadian  armies  fighting  in  France.  John  finished out  the  war  there  as  a  lumberjack.  He  even  had  the opportunity  to  visit  Paris  on  a  two-week  Leave  from February  10  to  February  24,  1918.  Finally,  the  Armistice

ended  the  war  on  November  11,  1918.  John  and  the members  of  the  14th  Company  were  confined  to  their camp  until  December  11,  1918,  when  they  received their  orders  to  report  to  the  Canadian  Military  Base hospital  at  Etaples,  France  for  a  routine  medical inspection  prior  to  their  return  to  England.  When  John’s turn  came  for  inspection,  the  camp  medical  officer discovered  that  John  had  lost  part  of  the  index  finger on  his  left  hand  in  a  childhood  accident.  Also  missing was  the  third  toe  of  his  left  foot  in  a  logging  accident twenty-three  years  earlier.  None  of  these  disabilities had  prevented  John  from  putting  in  a  full  day’s  work, but  the  medical  officer  declared  him  Unfit  for  Further Military  Service—one  month  after  the  war  ended  and three  and  a  half  years  after  he  enlisted!  He  was  sent  to England  on  December  14,  1918.  John  left  England  on January  13,  1919,  aboard  the  ocean  liner  Empress  of Britain,  disembarking  at  Halifax  on  January  22,  1919. He  was  discharged  at  Ottawa  on  February  15,  1919. John  is  best  remembered  for  having  the  amazing  ability of  locating  drowning  victims  and  for  having  lived  to  the age  of  one  hundred  years  old.


Private  Joseph  John Baptist,  1036274. Enlisted  July  15,  1916.

Private Joseph John Baptist

“Joe  Batchisse”  was  born  on August  21,  1868.  He  was  three years  older  than  his  chum John  Carle  when  they  enlisted together  at  Maniwaki.  The  two men  were  both  sent  to  the  14th Company,  Canadian  Forestry Corps  based  at  Bois  Normand, France  on  November  27, 1916.   Judging   from   the disciplinary  “incidents”  that suddenly  began  to  be  noted into  Joe  Batchisse’s  ConductSheet,  it  would  appear  that  he  had  left  behind  an  ailing wife.  On  the  morning  of  November  12, 1917,  Joe Batchisse  reported  late  for  duty  after  spending  the previous  night  at  a  local  French  pub.  He  was  confined to  barracks  and  that  should  have  been  the  end  of  it. Instead,  Joe  Batchisse  escaped  confinement  and returned  to  the  pub  that  night.  He  was  sentenced  to seven  days  of  Field  Punishment  Number  Two:  he  was tied  by  his  hands  and  feet  to  a  cartwheel  —

outdoors, for  three  days  and  then  put  to  hard  labour  for  the remaining  four.  He  was  released  from  field  punishment on  November  19,  1917,  but  nine  days  later  he  reported late  for  duty  again.  He  got  another  seven  days  of  Field Punishment  Number  Two  for  that  episode.  After  that, he  shaped  up  and  never  got  into  any  more  trouble.  He even  got  Leave  and   John  Cade  went  to  Paris together.  Joe  Batchisse  was  fine   until  December  15, 1918,  when  he  took  ill  and  had  to  be  taken  to  the Canadian  Base  Hospital  at  Etaples,  France.  His  wife Mary  died  in  Maniwaki  on  December  18,  1918.  Joe Batchisse  never  went  back  to  the  14th  Company  at  Bois Normand.  He  was  sent  to  a  depot  camp  in  England, where  he  remained  until  August  9,  1919,  when  he  sailed for  Halifax  on  the  troopship  SS  Caronia.  Joe  Batchisse was  discharged  at  Kingston,  Ontario  on  August  19, 1919.  A  few  months  later  Joe  Batchisse  went  on  to  be reunited  with  Mary.


Private  Jocko  McDougall, 1036293. Enlisted  on  July  16,  1916.

Private Jocko McDougall

He  was  a  widower  when  war was  declared.  He  signed  up in    Maniwaki    and   gave September  1, 1871  as  his date  of  birth  to  the  recruiting officer.  Even  the  medical officer  who  pronounced  Jocko “fit  for  overseas  service” judged  his  appearance  to  beabout  “45  years  of  age.”  Old Jocko  made  it  to  England  and joined  the  224th  Canadian Forestry  Battalion  outside London,  England  on  November  6,  1916.  Somewhere the  secret  slipped  out  and  on  June  28,  1917,  Jocko was  discharged  from  further  military  service.  He  was sixty-five  years  old!  He  was  born  in 1852  and  was rumored  to  have  served  during  the  Boer  War  as  a riverboat  man.  On  August  14, 1917,  the  Canadian military  authorities  put  Jocko  aboard  the  troopship  SS Megantic  and  sent  him  home.


Private  Pierre  Clement Jocko,  1036446. Enlisted  July  29,  1916.

Private Pierre Clement Jocko



He  sailed  aboard  the  SS Scandinavia   with   fellow Algonquins   John   Carle, Joseph  Carle,  Joe  Batchisse, Big  Jim  Brascoupe,  John Cooko  and  Jocko  McDougall. Pierre  Clement  went  with  Big Jim,  Joe  Carle  and  Peter Dancey  to  the  224th  Canadian Forestry  Battalion  based outside  London,  England.  He finished  the  war  there  andreceived  his  sailing  orders  on  May  7, 1919.  Pierre Clement  was  discharged  at  Ottawa  on  May  17,  1919. For  the  34  months  he  was  in  service,  Pierre Clement  assigned  twenty  dollars  of  his  monthly  pay  to his  wife.





Three  Brothers

Their  names  were  Joseph,  Louis  and  Isaac  Cooko.  A few  Algonquins  remember  Joseph  and  Louis,  but hardly  anyone  remembers  Isaac.  Isaac  Cooko  was  born at  River  Desert,  but  he  was  living  in  Cutler,  Ontario when  he  enlisted.  Cutler  is  a  small  dot  on  the  map somewhere  on  the  Serpent  River  near  Spanish,  Ontario. All  three  brothers  joined  the  Canadian  Expeditionary Force.  Unfortunately,  the  War  Department  had restrictions  about  who  went  overseas  and  who  didn’t.

Of  the  estimated  630,000  Canadian  men   and  women who  were  in  uniform  during  the  Great  War,  about 450,000  went  overseas.  The  rest  were  stuck  in  Canada, never  to  see  the  sights  of  London  and  Paris.  This  is what  happened  to  the  Cooko  brothers.


Private  Joseph  Cooko  Sr., 649372. Enlisted  on  May  16,  1916, at  North  Bay,  Ontario.

Private Joseph Cooko Sr

Joe  Cooko  was  born  on  June 1,  1888,  which  made  him  the oldest  of  the  three  brothers  at twenty-eight  years  old.  He  was of  average  build  at  5  feet  6 inches  and   135  pounds.  Joe Cooko  was  sent  to  the  159th Overseas  Battalion,  Canadian Expeditionary  Force  and  it  was during  the  medical  inspection that  Joe  Cooko’s  disabilities were  noted:  he  was  missing  three  fingers.  He  had  lost the  little  finger  of  his  right  hand  to  frostbite  and  the  little finger  and  third  finger  of  his  left  hand  had  been  severed when  his  hand  was  crushed  between  a  log  and  a  flatcar bed.  Joe  Cooko  was  not  considered  fit  for  overseas service,  so  he  was  posted  to  guard  duty  with  the  2nd Battalion,  Canadian  Garrison  Regiment  at  Niagara-on-the-Lake.  Joe  Cooko  finished  the  war  there  and  was discharged  with  a  good  conduct  sheet  at  Toronto  on December  4,  1918.


Private  Louis  Cooko,  3037785. Enlisted  on  October  12,  1917  at  Sudbury,  Ontario.

Louis  was  born  on  April  12,  1895. He  was  twenty-two  years  old  and single  upon  enlistment,  which  should  have  made  him an  immediate  recruit  for  frontline  duty  in  France.  The problem  was  his  size:  Louis  was  too  small  at  4  feet  8 inches  tall  and 115  pounds.  Even  though  he  was  a lumberjack  and  accustomed  to  working  and  living  in harsh  conditions,  the  army  was  strict  about  its  physical requirements  for  military  service.  Small  men  like  Louis, the  army  reasoned,  would  collapse  under  a  heavy  pack. Louis  made  it  as  far  as  the  1St  Depot  Reserve  Battalion at  oronto.  His  number  was  never  called  in  the reinforcements  drafts  going  to  France.  He  was discharged  on  December  1,  1918,  at  Toronto,  Ontario.


Private  Isaac  Cooko,  2250460. Enlisted  on  April  28,  1917,  at Sudbury,  Ontario.

Isaac  Cooko  joined  the  army  but  a hand  injury  and  a  bad  knee  suffered from  work  in  the  lumber  camps  prevented  him  from going  overseas.  Instead,  he  was  posted  to  the  Forestry and  Construction  Battalion  at  Camp  Borden,  near Toronto,  Ontario.  Isaac  stayed  there  sixteen  weeks. On  the  night  of  August  15,  1917,  Isaac  walked  out  of the  camp  and  went  home.  With  no  hope  of  ever  going overseas  and  confined  to  the  strict  military  regulations of  an  army  camp,  men  like  Isaac  simply  walked  away from  the  army  and  never  looked  back.


The  Men  Who  Were Turned  Away

Private  Gilbert  Commanda (a.k.a  Gabriel  Commandant), 648178.  Enlisted  on  October  15,  1915, at  North  Bay,  Ontario.

Private Gilbert Commanda

The  recruiting  officer  probably  heard “Gilbert”  when  Gabriel  gave  his name  at  the  recruiting  desk  that  day. Gabriel  was  a  rugged  and  powerfully built  man  at  six  feet  tall  and 175 pounds.  Gabriel   made  it  as  far  as Camp   Borden  with  the 159th Overseas  Battalion,  Canadian Expeditionary  Force,  where  he  was discharged  as  “medically  unfit  for further  military  service.”  Gabriel  had badly  injured  his  left  knee  in  alumber  accident  four  years  earlier  and  it  kept  swelling up  during  the  long  distance  training  marches  at  Camp Borden.  The  medical  officer  who  signed  Gabriel’s discharge  sheet  wrote  that  it  would  take  several  major operations  to  repair  the  tissue  and  vein  damage  to  his knee.  That  was  the  end  of  his  military  career,  but  Gabriel is  remembered  for  being  the  man  who  discovered  gold some  time  during  the  1920’s  in  the  Abitibi  region.  A town  of  gold  miners  immediately  sprang  up  there.  That town  became  Val  d’Or,  Quebec.  A  creek  called  “La Source  Gabriel

Commandant”  was  named  in  honour of  the  man  whose  discovery  of  gold  gave  birth  to  the present-day  cities  and  towns  of  the  Abitibi-Temiscamingue  regions.  The  creek  flows  about  30 kilometers  north  of  Val  d’Or.  Gabriel  was  immortalized in  a  French  language  book  entitled  L’Algonquin  Gabriel Commandant  by  Jean  Ferguson.



Private  James  Brascoupe, 3320095. Accidentally  conscripted  on January  8,  1918.


Private James Brascoupe

James  was  born  on  April  10,  1895, to  Xavier  Brascoupe  and  Mary  Ann Kaponichin  of  River  Desert.  During the  war,  First  Nations  men  were not  obligated  to  fight  overseas  in  a European  war,  though  we  know that  many  did.  First  Nations  men were    also    exempt    from conscription,  meaning  that  the  government  could  not draft  Indians.  James’  French-Canadien  surname  was the  most  likely  reason  why  he  received  a  draft  notice to  report  to  Hull  for  mobilization.  So  he  did.  And  he was  in  the  army  until  six  weeks  later  when  his  First Nations  status  was  discovered.  The  Canadian government  went  and  drafted  an  Indian.  On  February 8,  1918,  James  received  a  honourable  discharge  from military  service.  The  handwritten  remark  in  his  discharge sheets  stated  that  he  was  “erroneously  ordered  to report.”


Private  Harry  Brennan, 1003102.

Private Harry Brennan


Harry  enlisted  on  May  4,  1916,  at Sudbury,  Ontario  with  the  227th Overseas  Battalion,  Canadian Expeditionary  Force.  He  was discharged  six  months  later  as medically  unfit  for  further  military service  because  of  a  nagging  injury he  suffered  before  joining  up.  But he  was  also  fifteen  years  old,  which may  have  also  contributed  to  his discharge.  Harry  enlisted  again  on September  18,  1918,  and  this  time he  was  pronounced  fit  for  active  service.  Harry  never made  it  overseas.  He  was  in  an  assembly  camp  in Toronto  when  the  war  ended  on  November  11,  1918.






The  First  River  Desert Algonquin  to  Enlist


Private  William  Michel,  62268. Enlisted  on  February  18,  1915, Le  Regiment  “22”.

Private William Michel

William  was  the  oldest  son  of  Kate Keillor    and    Thomas-Michel Kakijasiketc.  He  was  born  on January  12,  1895,  which  made  him twenty  years  old  when  he  left  his job  as  a  lumberjack  up  at  the  Eagle River  Depot  on  a  cold  February  day and  walked  to  Hull  with  twenty dollars  in  his  pocket,  his  last month’s   pay.  At  the  Hull  Armoury William  signed  up  with  one  of Canada’s  most  prestigious  fightingunits,  the  famed  “Van  Doos.”  The  Van  Doos  trained  at Camp  Valcartier  until  May  16, 1915  when  they embarked  by  train  for  Halifax.   On  May  20,  1915,  the men  of  the  Van  Doos,  William  included,  crowded  the decks  of  the  troopship  SS  Saxonia  as  it  steamed  for the  open  Atlantic  and  England  beyond.  Gradually  the lights  of  Halifax  Harbour  grew  fainter  until  they  were extinguished.  William  landed  at  Liverpool,  England  on May  29,  1915.  After  three  months  of  training  and

indoctrination  into  trench  warfare,  the  Van  Doos  set sail  for  France  on  September  15,  1915.  Three  weeks later  the  Van  Doos  took  their  turn  in  the  front  line trenches  at  a  Belgian  town  called  Ypres.  William,  like all  members  of  the  Van  Doos,  participated  in  the  deadly night  raids  into  the  German  trenches  less  than  five hundred  yards  away.  When  the  Van  Doos  were  ordered back  into  the  rest  areas  behind  Ypres  three  weeks  later, the  men  were  “blooded.”  William  was  now  a  veteran combat  soldier.  The  Battle  of  the  Somme  was  one  of the  most  brutal  battles  ever  fought  in  human  history. Nearly  one  million  British,  Canadian,  Australian  and German  soldier  died  there  in  a  span  of  only  four  months. On  September  9,  1916,  a  German  hi-explosive  shell suddenly  screamed  down  into  a  section  of  Canadian trench  and  exploded.  The  blast  was  so  severe  that  it  jarred William’s  right  cornea  out  of  place.  William  was evacuated  to  England,  where  it  took  eye  specialists five  months  to  nurse  his  cornea  back  into  place.  On  March 1,  1917,  William  rejoined  the  Van  Doos  at  Vimy  Ridge.         On  April  9,  1917,  the  Canadians  went  over  the  top  to  take Vimy  Ridge  from  the  Germans.  The  Germans  did  not take  kindly  to  being  kicked  off  the  ridge  by  the  rookie Canadians   and  they  harassed  them  with  long-range artillery  fire  for  weeks  afterwards.  One  of  those  shells ended  William’s  combat  career  on  May  16,  1917.  It  was  a gas  shell.  William  got  his  gas  mask  on  quickly,  but  the gas  burned  his  right  cornea.  William’s  war  was  over.  He came  home  on  board  the  troopship  SS  Olympia  and disembarked  at  Halifax  on  December  14,  1918.  He  was discharged  at  Ottawa  on  January  14,  1919.


The  Forgotten  Soldier

Private  Sam  Gagnon,  145502. Enlisted  on  November  13,  1915,  at  Ottawa  with the  77th  Overseas  Battalion,  Canadian Expeditionary  Force.

 Sam’s   real   name   was   Simon Kaponichin.  He  was  born  on  March  9, 1888  to  Thomas  Kaponichin  and     Cecile  Natawesi.  Simon  took  the  name Sam  Gagnon  after  his  widowed mother  married  William  Gagnon.  Sam-Simon  was  a  powerfully  built  man  at  5  feet  6  inches  and 165  pounds.  After  six  months  of  constant  training  and drills  at  the  military  parade  grounds  in  Ottawa,  the  77th Overseas  Battalion  sailed  for  England  on  June  19,  1916. Sam-Simon  was  transferred  to  the  87th  Canadian  Infantry Battalion  on  July  4,  1916.  Two  months  later,  Sam-Simon was  at  the  Somme  battle.

It  wasn’t  war  at  the  Somme;  it  was  slaughter. Hi-explosive  shells  rained  down  into  the  Canadian  trenches and  on  October  20,  1916,  one  of  those  hi-explosive  shells found  Sam-Simon.  The  violent  blast  threw  Sam-Simon into  the  air  and  he  landed  hard.  He  survived  it,  but  his right  eyeball  was  completely  purple  and  bulging  from  internal  bleeding.  Sam-Simon  was  immediately  evacuated to  England,  where  eye  specialists  stopped  the  bleeding inside  his  eyeball,  but  he  was  now  legally  blind  in  one eye.  His  war  should  have  been  over  at  this  point,  but  he went  back.

The  87th  Battalion  was  holding  the  front  lines  at Passchendaele  on  November  21,  1917,  when  another German  shell  came  looking  for  Sam-Simon.  A  chunk  of shrapnel  smashed  into  his  heavy  greatcoat.  The  combination  of  mud  and  heavy  clothing  stopped  the  force  of  the shrapnel  from  slicing  into  Sam-Simon’s  chest,  but  the  blast knocked  him  out.  He  was  evacuated  to  the  Canadian  base hospital  at  Etaples,  France.  Blinded  in  one  eye  and concussed  from  the  shell  burst  at  Passchendaele,  Sam-Simon  was  finished  as  a  front-line  soldier.  In  that  hospital at  Etaples  were  thousands  of  Canadian  soldiers  wounded in  the  Passchendaele  fighting.  Many  of  them  were  dying. In  one  of  those  beds  lay  a  badly  wounded  soldier,  feverish  from  a  dangerous  shoulder  wound  that  was  draining blood  to  prevent  gangrene.  If  Sam  had  come  across  him, he  would  have  recognized  the  suffering  soldier.  His  nick-name  was  Joker  and  he  was  the  last  surviving  son  of  the widowed  Xavier  Odjick  at  River  Desert.

Letters  from  the  Front

 “My  poor  wife  I  am  so  lonesome…”

 His  name  was  Frank  Maheux.  He  was  the husband  of  Angelique  Kaponichin.  Frank

Maheux  was  a  career  soldier,  already  having served  as  an  infantryman  with  the  Canadian contingent  ol the  British  army  during  the  Boer War  in  South  Africa.  War  was  in  Franks’  blood and  he  couldn’t  resist  the  call  when  Canada went  to  war  again  in  1914.  He  walked  fifty-six  kilometres  from,  ,Baskatong  to  sign  up  in Maniwaki  on  November  20,  1914.  He  was  34 years  old.  Frank  was  sent  to  the  21sr  Canadian Infantry’  Battalion,  Canadian  Expeditionary Force.  In  September  1915,  Frank  and  his  unit entered  the  front  lines  at  the  Ypres  Salient  in Belgium.  What  they  saw  there  was  nightmarish beyond  comprehension:  the  Germans  were shelling-the  Canadian  front  lines  and skeletons  were  hanging  in  the  barbed   wire. The  rats  had  eaten  them  to   the  bone.  A  letter from  Frank  managed  to  get  through  the  armycensors  and  it  described  this  to  Angelique.      aritidian  soldiers  were  not  allowed  to  write about  stiOlike  this,  but  they  did  anyway.  The army  censors  took  scissors  and  cut  out  the horrific  parts.  What  each  soldier  did  to circumvent  the  censors  was  to  write  as  many letters  as  they  could  in  hope  that’one  might get  through.  Frank  played  that  game  too, flooding  the  Canadian  army  postal  service with  letters.  The  ones  that  got  through  to Angelique  are  hard  to  read  because  hidden between  those  rough  lines  were  the  images  that Canadian  veterans  could  never  bring themselves  to  speak  about  after  it  was  all  over. Frank-mime  home  to  Angelique_in  1920.  The Maheux  family  of  Ottawa  are  the  keepers  of Frank’s  letters  sent  home  from  the  front.


Sons  of  the  Creator

When  the  Creator  made  the  first  Anishinabe  man he  knew  the  job  was  not  finished  yet.  All  the  animals had  a  mate,  but  Anishinabe  Inini  didn’t.  So  the  Creator gave  Anishinabe  Inini  a  mate.  She  had  dark  hair,  like her  eyes,  and  she  offered  him  a  cautious  smile. Anishinabe  Inini  liked  Anishinabe  Ikwe  immediately because  he  knew  by  her  careful  smile  that  she  could love  him  or  fight  him,  whichever  he  wanted,  but  she wanted  to  be  liked  first.  Anishinabe  Inini  decided  to like  her.  She,  in  turn,  became  his  wife  and  bore  him children.  The  Creator  made  Anishinabe  Ikwe  to  bring children  into  the  world.  To  make  her  love  those children,  the  Creator  made  her  suffer  pain  for  it.  From pain  came  sacrifice  and  Anishinabe  Ikwe  loved  those children  she  birthed  because  from  tears  of  pain  also f lowed  tears  of  joy.  But  Anishinabe  Ikwe  knew  that the  Creator  intended  for  her  to  give  life  to  His  children and  that  in  the  end  they  were  all  His.  It  hurt  Anishinabe Ikwe  when  her  sons  went  off  to  fight  war,  to  lose  them after  having  sacrificed  many  tears  for  them,  but  they were  never  really  her  sons  to  own.


They  belonged  to  the  Creator.

These  were  His  sons…


Private  Joseph  Odjick,  805655. Killed  In  Action, September  2,  1918.


Private Joseph Odjick

He  was  a  good-looking  boy  when he  went  to  war.  He  was  twenty years  old  when  he  joined  up.  His nickname  was  “Joker”  because  he liked  playing  pranks  and  telling  jokes.  He  was gregarious.  Tall  and  gangly  at  six  feet  tall  and  one hundred  and  forty  pounds,  he  was  tough  enough  to work  as  a  lumberjack.  Joker  was  born  on  July  26,  1895, the  second  and  last  son  of  Xavier  Odjick  and  Philomene McDougall.  Joker’s  older  brother  was  Basil,  born  on May  1,  1894.  Joker  was  one  month  shy  of  his  fourth birthday  when  his  mother  died  on  June  23,  1899.  Basil died  six  months  later.  Xavier  was  left  alone  with  a motherless  four-year  old  boy  as  the  world  brought  River Desert  into  the  twentieth  century…and  war.


Joker  enlisted  on  March  26,  1916,  at  Maniwaki  with the  136th  Overseas  Battalion,  Canadian  Expeditionary Force.  Joker  trained  at  Camp  Valcartier  and  on September  25,  1916,  he  sailed  for  France  on  the  troopship  SS  Corsican.  Somewhere  on  the  cold,  dark
North  Atlantic  Ocean,  Joker  wrote  his  will  and  left  all  of his  possessions  to  his  father  Xavier.  He  also  assigned fifteen  dollars  of  his  monthly  pay  to  his  father.  Joker stepped  off  the  troopship  on  October  6, 1916,  at         Liverpool,  England.  The  next  day  he  was  transferred to  the  39’h  Reserve  Battalion,  where  he  trained  as  a front  line  combat  soldier.  On  December  7,  1916,  Joker got  his  orders  to  France.  He  was  going  to  war  and  on December  24,  1916,  Joker  joined  the  75th  Canadian Infantry  Battalion  at  Vimy  Ridge.  At  dawn  on  April  9, 1917,  the  Canadians  went  over  the  top  at  Vimy  Ridge. Through  a  diving  snowstorm,  the  Canadians  fought their  way  to  the  top  of  the  vaunted  ridge.  Joker  was there  with  fellow  Algonquin  Joseph  Michael  Stoqua  of Golden  Lake,  Ontario,  also  of  the  75th  Battalion.  Joker got  off  without  a  scratch  through  the  ferocious  fighting to  take  the  ridge,  but  Stoqua  died  of  wounds  suffered in  the  battle.  The  capture  of  Vimy  Ridge  was  Canada’s crowning  achievement,  and  after  the  battle  was  over, the  sun  came  out.  But  then  things  got  dark  again  at Passchendaele.  No  man  who  was  there  would  ever forget  Passchendaele.  It  was  horror  on  a  grand  scale that  could  never  have  been  imagined:  men  drowned  in the  mud.  Thousands  of  them  who  went  missing  there are  still  resurfacing  nine  decades  later.

On  November  14,  1917,  the  75’h  Battalion  was holding  its  section  of  the  line.  A  German  shell  screamed in  and  exploded  in  the  air—the  air  bursting   shell  sent scraps  of  hot  shards  spiraling  down  into  the  Canadian trenches  below.  One  of  those  hot  fragments  tore  into Joker’s  greatcoat  and  cut  through  his  shoulder,  lodging two  inches  deep  inside  and  just  barely  missing  his jugular  vein.  His  comrades  carried  Joker  to  a  nearby Australian  Casualty  Station,  where  the  medics  hurriedly used  scalpels  to  cut  into  his  shoulder  and  pull  out  the hot  shell  splinter.  Joker  was  evacuated  to  the  Canadian military  base  hospital  at  Etaples,  France.  This  was  long before  penicillin  was  discovered  and  the  infection  of metal  and  dirt  was  already  siphoning  away  Joker’s  life force.  They  evacuated  him  to  England.  It  took  Joker five  months  to  recover  from  that  wound.  He  rejoined the  75th  Battalion  on  April  16,  1918.  In  September  of 1918,  the  Canadian  Corps  was  called  on  by  the  British to  break  the  German  Hindenburg  Line  and  end  the  war for  good.  On  the  morning  of  September  2,  1918,  the 75th  Battalion  went  over  the  top  to  take  a  German strongpoint  known  as  the  Drocourt-Queant  Line.  The Germans  had  pillboxes  set  up  there.  When  the  75th went  over  the  top,  the  Germans  met  them  with relentless  machine  gun  fire.  The  75’h  fought  their  way through  the  barbed  wire  and  they  took  the  German position  that  afternoon.  It  was  only  after  the  surviving Germans  surrendered  that  the  men  of  the  75th  took  a moment  to  look  back  at  the  battlefield  they  charged over.  Fifty-eight  of  their  comrades  lay  dead  in  shell  holes and  in  the  German  barbed  wire.  They  buried  them  that evening.  Joker  was  one  of  them.  Private  Joseph  Odjick, 805655,  is  buried  at  Dury  Mills  Canadian  Military Cemetery  near  Dury,  France.


Private  Frank  James  Gagnon, 410276.   Killed  In  Action, November  18,  1916.

 He  was  the  brother  of  Sam-Simon Kapinichin.  Frank  was  Cecile  Natawesi’s  boy.  Cecile married  William  Gagnon  after  Thomas  Kaponichin  died. Frank  was  Bill  Gagnon’s  son,  born  on  March  12,  1896. He  was  eighteen  years  old  when  he  signed  up  in  Ottawa with  the  38th  Canadian  Infantry  Battalion.  Frank  was  a big  kid  at  5  feet  10  inches  and  170  pounds.  When  he got  to  France  he  wrote  his  will.  He  was  nineteen  years old.  No  nineteen-year-old  boy  should  ever  write  a  will. Frank,  did  and  he  left  everything  he  ever  owned  to  his three  year  old  sister  Bernice.  Frank  was  at  the  Somme when  he  was  wounded  in  the  left  thigh  by  a  shell  burst on  October  30,  1916.  It  was  only  a  superficial  wound and  on  November  6,  1916,  Frank  was  released  from the  field  hospital  to  rejoin  his  unit.  On  November  18, 1916,  the  Canadian  artillery  barrage  opened  up  on  the German  trenches  and  when  it  suddenly  ended,  the  38th Battalion  went  over  the  top  to  take  Regina  Trench.  The German  defenders,  the  machine  gunners,  were  waiting inside  their  dugouts  below  ground,  waiting  for  the bombardment  to  end  and  start  the  Canadian  assault. When  they  heard  the  Canadians  coming  across  no man’s  land,  they  rushed  out  of  the  dugouts  and  set  up their  machine  guns.  They  opened  fire  into  the  onrushing soldiers  of  the  38th  Battalion.  The  men  of  the  38th  took Regina  Trench.  They  lost  a  lot  of  men  on  the  rush  over. One  of  them  was  the   boy  Frank  James  Gagnon,  dead at  twenty  years  old.  Private  Frank  James  Gagnon, 410276,  is  buried  at  the  Regina  Trench  Canadian Military  Cemetery  on  the  Somme,  France


The  Last  Men  Standing


Private Holenger  Gagnon,  410098.  Enlisted  at  Ottawa  on  February  24,     1915,  in  the  38th  Battalion,  CEF.

 A  big  lumberjack  who  stood  five  feet nine  inches  tall  and  weighed 170 pounds,  Holenger  was  in  the  38th  Battalion  with  his brother  Frank  James  when  they  went  over  the  top  on November  18,  1916,  to  assault  Regina  Trench.  Holenger was  hit  in  the  hip  by  shrapnel.  Holenger  was  evacuated to  the  Canadian  Base  Hospital  at  Etaples,  France.  Frank James,  who  was  three  years  younger  than  Holenger, was  buried  at  Regina  Trench.  Holenger  rejoined  the  38th Battalion  at  Vimy  Ridge  on  December  23,1916.  Holenger fought  at  Vimy  Ridge  on  April  9,  1917.  He  survived  all  of the  major  battles  throughout  the  summer  of  1917,  even the  murderous  Passchaendaele  battle  in  November  of1917.  At  Passchaendaele,  Holenger  developed  a  tumor in  his  lower  jaw  until  he  was  finally  unable  to  eat.  He was  evacuated  to  England  on  December  8,  1917.  Antibiotics  had  not  been  discovered  yet  and  it  took  Holenger five  months  to  recover  from  the  operation  that  removed the  tumor.  On  May  28,  1918,  he  was  discharged  from the  hospital  and  sent  for  retraining  with  the  6th  Reserve Battalion  at  Witley  Camp,  England.  He  was  awaiting orders  to  rejoin  the  38th  Battalion  in  France.  They  never came.  He  was  still  in  England  when  the  war  ended  on November  11,  1918.  On  December  12,  1918,  Holenger received  his  sailing  orders,  disembarking  at  Halifax  on December  22,  1918.  He  was  discharged  at  Ottawa  on January  11,  1919.


Sapper  Joseph  Michel, 814438.  Enlisted  at  Ottawa  on April  1,  1916.

Sapper Joseph Michel

“Joe  Michel”  was  born  on  August 15,  1897.  He  was  William  Michel’s brother.  Joe  Michel  landed  in  England  on  October  6, 1916.  Joe Michel  kept  getting  sick  while  in England.  He  was  in  and  out  of  hospital  until  he  regained  his  health and  was  then  posted  to  the  3rd  Canadian  Engineer  Battalion  in France  on  May  31, 1918.  Joe Michel  was  trained  as  a  “sapper,” which  meant  that  he  was  assigned to  the  unenviable  job  of  deactivating  unexploded  shells  and  German  booby  traps.  When  the  Canadian  Expeditionary  Force spearheaded  the  attack  at  Amiens,  France  on  August 8, 1918,  this  began  the  “last  one  hundred  days”  that would  push  the  German   army  back  inside  its  own  borders  and  end  the  war.  Joe  Michel  and  his  unit  followed  closely  behind  the  advancing  Canadian  army, repairing  telephone  lines  and  bridges  and  deactivating  German  booby  traps  and  trip  wires.  Joe  Michel and  his  comrades  were  also  trained  infantrymen  and they  had  to  take  on  last-ditch  German  snipers  while going  about  their  work.  At  11  o’clock  on  the  morning of  November  11,  1918, the  guns  finally  fell  silent  on the  Western  Front.  The  war  was  over.  Joe  Michel came  home  on  June  11,  1919,  aboard  the  troopship SS  Aquitania.  Like  his  brother  William,  Joe  Michel  as-signed  twenty  dollars  of  his  monthly  army  pay  to  his mother,  Kate  Keillor.  After  the  war,  Joe  Michel  worked for  the  Canadian  Pacific  Railways  on  the  Maniwaki-Ottawa  train  run.  He  is  shown  with  his  daughter  Edna in 1928.


The  Battle  of  Vimy  Ridge

At  dawn  on  the  morning  of  April  9,  1917,  30,000 Canadian  soldiers  of  the  first  wave  climbed  out  of their  trenches  in  a  driving  sleet  storm and  advanced across  the  mud  and  shell  holes  of  no  man’s  land  to wrest  away  a  fortress  ridge  from  the  Germans  that  the vaunted  French  and  British  armies  could  not.  The  place was  Vimy  Ridge  in  France.  It  was  this  battle  that brought  Canada  together  as  a  nation,  because  it  was the  first  time  that  the  entire  Canadian  Corps  fought together  as  a  unified  force,  all  four  infantry  divisions of  100,000  men.  Vimy  Ridge  was  a  Canadian  show. The  battles  at  Ypres  and  the  Somme  had  blooded Canada’s  army  of  volunteers  and  the  British  High Command  knew  that  only  one  Allied  force  could  take the  ridge—the  Canadian  Corps.

Every community and race in Canada :”as represented on the moming of April 9, 1917, at Vimy Ridge. Men ranging from British Columbia on the west coast all the way to Prince Edward Island on the east coast went over the top at Vimy Ridge. They came from all walks of life, from educated bankers and lawyers in Montreal and Ottawa to salmon fishermen on the west coast and crab fishermen on the east coast. There were carpenters, store clerks, drifters, farmers, hunters, lumberjacks, miners, railroad men, university students and even adventurers from the United States. They w re English, French-Canadien, Scottish, Irish, Ukrainian, Polish, Italian, Japanese and the original people of this country, our First Nations boys. Canada was a melting pot of races and languages but at Vimy Ridge, when they went up against a common enemy who was shooting to kill because they were all wearing the same uniform, they forgot their differences and fought for each other.

A Cree sniper from Hobbema, Alberta won the Military Medal there when he took on a nest of German snipers who were killing Canadian soldiers. His name was Henry Norwest and he saved the lives of a lot of Canadian boys at Vimy. His heroism was just one of many that day as the Canadians took on pillboxes and machine gun nests, and then fought their way to the top of the ridge.

On April 12, 1917, after the last German positions still holding out were mopped up, Vimy Ridge was declared secure. The Canadians had taken it. Three thousand Canadian soldiers were killed there, another seven thousand wounded. This was Canada’s gift to France. The grateful French never forgot this and they in tum gave Vimy Ridge to Canada. Vimy Ridge is sovereign Canadian territory on French soil because the blood of her sons was spilled there. Canada’s Unknown Soldier was taken from Vimy Ridge and brought to Ottawa in the year 2000. Vimy Ridge is hallowed ground. The shell holes are still there and so is part of the Canadian front line trenches where Joseph Odjick, William Michel and Holenger Gagnon went over the top on the morning of April 9, 1917.



Private Moses (Moise) Commandant, 648211.

A big man who stood five feet nine inches tall and weighed 175 pounds, Moise was barn at Beaucage Nipissing Reserve on April 25, 1894. He visited regularly at River Desert Reserve and eventually married Philomene-Marie Oumont from River Desert. ln May of 1914, Moise was at his father’s cabin at Beaucage when the Ontario provincial game wardens arrived to confiscate their beaver traps. When Barney Commandant protested, a game warden drew a revolver and was about to shoot him when Moise whacked the gun away with a stick. Moise and Barney were arrested for aggravated assault causing injury (the game warden’s hand was bruised) and both sentenced to one year in prison in Sudbury. A sympathetic judge took up their cause and petitioned lndian Affairs. Moise and Barney were released in June of 1915, after serving eight months. Moise enlisted at North Bay on February 3, 1916. Moise was a machine gunner with the 1st Canadian Machine Gun Battalion. He arrived at the Front on September 10, 1917 and was at the battle of Passchaendaele in November of 1917. There were two Algonquin brothers in Moise’s unit: Samuel and Eli Commandant of Gibson Reserve. Seing in a machine gun unit was a dangerous occupation because the Germans targeted Canadian machine gun positions. During a German counterattack at Passchaendaele on November 17, 1917, a poison gas shell landed near Moise’s machine gun crew. Moise got a dose of poison gas, but he remained with his comrades until evacuated to England on April 30, 1918, suffering from respiratory problems and severe headaches from the lingering gas. Moise never returned to the Front. He finished the war with the Canadian Forestry Corps in England. The two Algonquin comrades he left behind fought on until August 28, 1918, when Eli was badly wounded from a German shell that landed in his machine gun position and buried him alive. He was dug out and then evacuated to England with severe head and facial wounds. Eli survived. Samuel was killed in action two days later. Eli and Samuel were the sons of Dinah Commandant of Gibson Reserve. Moise’s two younger brothers, Angus and John, also served in France. Moise’s name is carved into perpetuity on two memorials: the Algonquin Veteran’s Memorial at Kitigan Zibi and also at the Nipissing Veteran’s Memorial in North Bay. (The author would like to thank Juliette Mcleod of Nipissing First Nations at North Bay for providing the background on Moise Commanda.)



Xavier Odjick gave up his last surviving son for Canada and he lost everything when Joker was kill in France. Willie Michel came home to River Desert and he lived out the rest of his life disabled and unabled to work, but surviving on a barely adequate arm pension. Sam-Simon Kaponichin moved to Alberta and was never heard from again. Holenger Gagnon talked about Passchendaele, but he never spoke about Frank James’ death at Regina Trench. Joe Michel kept war to himself. These men will always be honour and remembered for their sacrifices.


The  Missing  Soldier

The  old  soldier  Jacko  McDougall,  who  had  lied about  his  age  to  get  into  the  Canadian  Expeditionary Force,  passed  away  on  July  20,  1922.  He  was  interred at  the  main  cemetery  in  Maniwaki.  Like  all  veterans of  the  Canadian  Expeditionary  Force,  he  was  entitled to  a  military  headstone  inscribed  with  his  name,  rank, regimental  number  and  military  unit.  The  army shipped  the  headstone  to  Maniwaki.  In  those  days, all  transactions  between  the  government  and  the Algonquins  were  handled  by  the  Indian  Agent,  which meant  that  the  Indian  Agent  took  receipt  of  the headstone.  The  Indian  Agent  must  have  had  other concerns  on  his  mind  because  the  headstone  was  never placed  on  Jacko’s  grave.  It  was  accidentally discovered  nearly  four  decades  later  inside  an  old wooden  storage  shed  at  the  Algonquin  cemetery  on Bitobi  Road,  packed  away  inside  a  deteriorated wooden  crate.  The  Algonquin  cemetery  at  Bitobi  Road was  opened  in  1952,  thirty  years  after  old  Jacko  was buried  at  the  cemetery  in  town.  This  cemetery, Cimitiere  #1,  was  closed  in  1942  to  make  room  for  a new  cemetery,  Cimitiere  #2.  When  the  Algonquins went  to  Cimitiere  #1,  they  could  not  locate  Jacko’s grave.  Somewhere  over  those  years,  his  grave  marker was  either  removed  or  the  years  weathered  away  the inscription  on  his  cross.  This  means  that  his  grave  was lost  forever.  He  became  a  soldier  with  no  known  grave. So,  the  Algonquins  picked  a  spot  in  their  cemetery  on Bitobi  Road  upon  which  they  installed  Jacko McDougall’s  headstone.  There  is  no  body  under Jacko’s  headstone  in  the  Algonquin  cemetery.  He  had served  temporarily  with  the  Canadian  Forestry  Corps during  the  Great  War.  The  fact  that  he  was  overage when  he  tried  to  get  into  the  war  needs  to  be acknowledged,  for  his  memory  if  for  no  other  reason. Jacko  McDougall’s  story  is  not  unique  to  First  Nations veterans  who  came  home  after  the  Great  War.  Their contributions  and  sacrifices  were  quickly  forgotten about  or  were  simply  ignored  by  the  very  country  that they  went  overseas  to  defend.  But  at  least  in  telling Jacko  McDougall’s  story  in  this  book,  his  name  will live  on  and  we  hope  that  his  spirit  will  find  closure. His  story  was  told.



Source : McGregor, Stephen, Since Time Immemorial : «Our Story».  The Story of the Kitigan Zibi Anishinàbeg, Kitigan Zibi Education Council, Kitigan Zibi, 2004, p. 228 à 240.   With the permission of the  Kitigan Zibi Education Council.