Algonquins in the Second World War



Germany  Rearms

As  mentioned  earlier  in  this  chapter,  times  were tough  worldwide  during  the  Great  Depression.  The economy  of  every  country  in  the  world  was  hit  hard during  the  Depression,  none  more  so  than  Germany. The  Great  War  had  nearly  shattered  Germany’s economy.  The  Great  Depression  devastated  it.  Germany started  the  Great  War  in  1914  and  lost  it  in  1918.  The victorious  Allied  forces  (American,  British  and  French; Canada  had  barely  a  part  after  it  was  all  over)  drew  up the  Versailles  Treaty  in  1919.  The  British  and  French hated  the  Germans  and  to  take  away  their  rising  power, the  Treaty  of  Versailles  made  Germany  pay  millions  of dollars  in  war  reparations  to  France  and  Belgium. Germany  was  humiliated.  The  Treaty  of  Versailles stripped  Germany  of  its  industry,  which  was  distributed to  France  and  Belgium  as  war  reparations.  German  farm produce  was  also  shipped  to  France  and  Belgium  as war  reparations.  By  1923,  Germany  was  starving.  They barely  had  enough  food  to  feed  themselves.  The Germans  were  working  their  fingers  to  the  bone  to  feed England  and  France.  When  the  Great  Depression  hit  in 1929,  Germany’s  overworked  economy  finally collapsed.  German  money  was  worthless  after  1929, and  the  Germans  had  to  adopt  a  barter  system.  They used  coal  blocks  as  money.  Coal  bought  food.  The  Allies nearly  turned  Germany  back  into  a  feudalistic  farmer state.

This,  tragically,  initiated  an  uprising  in  Germany. It  was  a  nationalistic  rising  that  became  known  as Nazism.  The  man  who  led  the  Nazi  uprising  was  Adolf Hitler.  He  promised  to  put  Germans  back  to  work  so that  working  men  could  put  food  back  onto  their  tables. Most  German  families  needed  to  hear  this,  and  in  1936 they  made  Adolf  Hitler  the  leader  of  their  country.  He built  the  German  Autobahn  and  rebuilt  industry,  which was  a  violation  of  the  Treaty  of  Versailles.

The  Allies  could  do  nothing  about  it.  Adolf  Hitler put  families  back  to  work  and  the  German  population supported  him  Once  he  had  this  support,  he  built  up  an army  next.  The  sabers  started  rattling  again  in  Europe and  on  September  4,  1939,  Germany  invaded  Poland. England  and  France  retaliated  by  declaring  war  on Germany.  The  Americans  refused  to  get  involved.  When England  declared  war  Canada  was  also  at  war,  again, twenty-one  years  after  the  Great  War  was  supposed  to be  the  “war  to  end  all  wars.”  The  Canadian  Army  paid 33  dollars  a  month  for  men  to  sign  up  and  fight  in  the Great  War.  The  daily  pay  was  a  little  better  this  time around.  The  men  got  one  dollar  and  forty  cents  a  day, or  forty-three  dollars  a  month.  After  struggling  to survive  the  Great  Depression,  forty-three  dollars  a month  was  a  fortune  to  the  men  who  joined  the Canadian  Army  in  World  War  Two.  They  could  eat again  and  they  could  send  money  home  to  feed  their families.  Another  generation  of  young  Algonquin  men joined  up  to  fight  a  newer  and  even  deadlier  German Army.  They  joined  up  out  of  necessity  and  probably patriotism  was  not  their  first  concern,  but  in  Holland they  would  see  firsthand  why  this  war  had  to  be  fought.


Algonquins  in  the Second  World  War

It  is  nearly  impossible  to  tell  a  story  without background  information.  Of  the  twenty-eight Algonquin  men  and  women  who  joined  the  Canadian Army  in  World  War  Two,  the  discharge  papers  of  some were  lost  and,  with  these  papers,  their  regimental numbers.  This  was  not  anyone’s  fault.  House  fires happen  on  the  coldest  winter  nights,  sometimes  a basement  floods  due  to  heavy  rains  in  the  spring. Papers  go  missing  and,  with  them,  the  stories.  The National  Archives  in  Ottawa  holds  tons  of  war documents  and  without  a  regimental  number  to identify  a  veteran,  the  job  to  find  their  records  is  like looking  for  a  needle  in  a  field  of  haystacks.

Also,  the  National  Archives  maintains  a  policy  to protect  the  memories  of  not  just  the  veteran,  but  also his  or  her  spouse.  For  example,  a  veteran  recently passed  away  in  2004.  His  military  personnel  records are  sealed  until  2024.  When  his  records  will  finally be  opened,  his  widow  will  be  gone. Dan  Whiteduck  passed  away  in  2001,  his  military records  sealed  until  2021.  John  Cooko  passed  away in  1999.  His  records  will  not  be  opened  until  2019. Michael  Chabot  on  the  battlefield,  Kiska  1943. Harry  Brennan  passed  away  in  1987.  His  records will  not  be  opened  until  2007.  Michael  Chabot  passed away  in  2004;  his  military  records  will  not  be  opened until  2024.  Sam  Cote’s  records  have  just  recently  been opened.  Sadly,  some  records  might  never  be  found because  the  veteran’s  papers  and  regimental  numbers were  lost.  To  try  and  find  these  missing  regimental numbers  would  require  an  absolute  effort.  However, each  of  these  men  and  women  deserves  a  mention.


A  Few  Stories

Harry Brennan


Harry  Brennan  holds  the  record on  our  reserve  for  the  most enlistments:  three.  He  enlisted  in the  Canadian  Army  for  a  third  time on  June  19,  1941,  at  Toronto.  He was  thirty-nine  years  old.  Because of  his  age,  he  was  posted  to  the Royal  Canadian  Army  Service Corps  stationed  in  Canada.


Kichi Jim Brascoupe


Kichi  Jim  Brascoupe  enjoyed his  time  so  much  in  England during  the  first  war,  he  signed up  again  with  the   Canadian Forestry  Corps  overseas.  He joked  that  he  was  going  to  bring back  a  second  Scottish  wife.


Angus «Ignace» Baptiste


Angus  “Ignace”  Baptiste  was the   son   of   Joseph   John Baptiste.  Like  his  father,  he served   in   the   Canadian Forestry  Corps  overseas.  He was  working  as  a  guide  at O’Connell Lodge    in    La Verendrye  Park  after  the  war when  he  was  cast  as  an Algonquin    guide    in    a documentary  film.




   James  Albert  Chabot  also served   in   the  Canadian Forestry  Corps  overseas

James Albert Chabot


Simon Dumont


Simon  Dumont  fought  in  Italy and  was  wounded  there.  He also  fought  in  Holland  during  the Liberation  in 1945.  He  met  a Dutch  girl  named  Elizabeth  out there,  married  her  and  they lived  in  Ottawa  after  the  war.


Patrick Carle



Patrick  Carle  was  the  son  of the  Great  War  veteran  John Carle.  Patrick  joined  the  army and  after  his  basic  training,  he came  home  on  leave  before going  overseas.  He  suddenly took  ill  while  on  leave.  He  died a  few  days  later.



Bernice and Bertha Cooko



Bertha and Bernice Cooko.  The sisters both died young.    Bertha died in 1952 from a lingering illness. Bernice was living in Ottawa after the war. She drowned in the Ottawa River in 1953.




Simon Brascoupe

The  brothers  Simon  and  Jim Brascoupe  (not  Kichi-Jim  or  the James  Brascoupe  who  was accidentally  drafted  in  1918)  were sailors  with  the  United  States Navy.  Their  brother  Xavier  Brascoupe joined  the  Canadian  army.





Simon Cayer




The  brothers  Jim  and  Simon Cayer  never  talked  about  their experiences  in  the  war.  They are both gone now.




Alonzo Cayer


Alonzo  Cayer  came  home  on leave  after  his  basic  training  was completed  before  shipping  out overseas,   but   his   mother protested  because  he  was  the only  wage  earner  at  home.  His mother  had  that  right.  The  Indian Agent  was  obliged  to  write  a  letter to  the  War  Department  in  Ottawa on  her  behalf.  This  did  not happen.  Alonzo  was  at  the  Band meeting  when  the  Indian  rights activist  Jules  Sioui  ordered  him  to  take  off  his  uniform because  it  “wasn’t  our  war.”  This  is  why  Alonzo’s  name  is not  on  the  Algonquin  veteran’s  memorial  at  Kitigan  Zibi.




Joseph Ottawa


Joseph  Ottawa  served  in  the Unites  States  Air  Force and  was posted  in  North  Africa  in  1943 and  then later  to  Northwest Europe  in  1944.


Michael Scott



Michael   Scott  was   a   big lumberjack.  He  was  assigned  to the  Canadian  Forestry  Corps  in Scotland.   Michael   and   his comarades  were  outnumbered  by a  detachment  of  Scottish  troops,  Michael  finished  the  war  in  Germany  in  1945.






Raymond Budge


The  brothers  Kenneth  and Raymond  Budge.  Kenneth  was an  infantryman,  Raymond  was a  gunner  inside  a  Sherman  tank. Raymond’s  unit  landed  under  fire at  Juno  Beach  with  the  first  wave assault  on  D-Day  morning.  In  the Normandy  fighting  that  followed, Raymond  and  his  tank  mates had  to  take  on  the  powerful German  tanks.  Twice,  Raymond had  to  bail  out  of  a  burning  tank.The  crewmen  had  just  seven seconds  to  get  out  before  the  Sherman’s  gasoline  tanks ignited  into  searing  flames.  Both  Kenneth  and  Raymond fought  through  France,  Belgium  and  Holland.  Raymond finished  the  war  in  Germany.



Matthew Cooko


Matthew  Cooko  joined  the United  States  army  and  served in   Northwest   Europe   and Germany.  After  the  war,  Matthew worked  in  Syracuse,  New  York, where  he  suffered  a  severe accident  that  left  him  with  a permanent  speech  impairment. Matthew  was  nearly  lost  for  good. He  was  in  a  VA  hospital  in  the  States  in  1981  and  he couldn’t  speak  anymore.  No  one  knew  who  he  was.  All he  could  do  was  draw  pictures.  An  American  nurse finally  figured  his   story  out.  His  brother,  John  Cooko, was  contacted  in  1981  and  the  Cooko  family  brought Matthew  home  to  Kitigan  Zibi.  He  lived  out  the  rest  of his  days  among  friends  and  family.



John Cooko


John  Cooko  was  28  years  old when  he  left Maniwaki  for  Europe in  1944.  He  reached  Amsterdam in  April  of 1945.  The  war  was nearly  over.


Angus Dancey

Angus  Dancey  served  with  his friend  Michael  Scott  in  the Canadian    Forestry   Corps overseas.  His  father  was  Peter Dancey,  who  also  served  with the  Canadian  Forestry  Corps during  the  Great  War.  Angus was  active  in  veterans  activities after  the  war  and   he  was instrumental  in  the  fund-raising that  established  the  Veteran’s Memorial  for  the  Kitigan  Zibi Algonquins.





Michael Chabot



Michael  Chabot  was  with  the joint    American-Canadian expeditionary  force  that  invaded the  Japanese-held  Aleutian Islands  off  the  coast  of  Alaska in  1942-43.  On  Kiska  Island,  the American-Canadian    force fought  against  a  Japanese rearguard  unit  that  had  been  left behind.  Michael  was  in  a  sniper unit  and  he  and  his  comrades hunted  Japanese  snipers  holed up  on  the  island.  The  Americans  had  their  own  way  of dealing  with  Japanese  snipers:  flamethrowers.





Private  First  Class Joseph  Wilfred McDougall,  965875.  United  States  Marine Corps  Pacific  Theatre, and  later  American Occupation  forces  of  Japan,  1946  to  1947.


Private First Class Joseph Wilfred McDougall

Everyone  knew  him  as Frank.  He  fought  at  Iwo Jima.    Frank   was    a qualified  marksman  and anti-tank  gunner.  The island  of  Iwo  Jima  lay  one  thousand  kilometers  from the  mainland  of  Japan  and  it  was  part  of  Japanese territory.  The  Marine  Corps  commanders  thought  the  battle  would be  over  in  three  days.  The  battle  for  Iwo  Jima  lasted thirty-six.  The  battle  began  on  the  morning  of  February 19,  1945.  The  Japanese  garrison  were  all  below  ground at  Iwo.  They  had  built  nearly  thirty  kilometres  of interconnecting  tunnels  and  underground  chambers beneath  an  island  that  measured  eight  kilometres  long by  six  kilometres  wide.  Iwo  Jima  was  intended  to  be  a death  trap  for  the  eighty  thousand  Marines  assigned  to take  it.

On  February  23,  1945,  a  Marine  patrol  of  forty  men fought  its  way  to  the  top  of  Mount  Suribachi,  the  volcanic mountain  that  dominated  the  western  end  of  the  island.  In  one  of  the  most  famous  photographs  ever  filmed, six  Marines  raised  the  United  States  flag  on  Mount Suribachi.  From  his  position  on  the  beach,  Frank McDougall  witnessed  the  famous  flag  raising. Frank’s  anti-tank  gun  unit  went into  action  on  February  24,  1945.  The  Marines  were running  into  Japanese  machine  gun  nests  firing  from underground  bunkers  cut  into  the  volcanic  rock.  The only  way  to  kill  them  was  to  blast  them  out  at  point-blank  range  with  tanks  and  anti-tank  guns.  There  were no  front  lines  at  Iwo.  The  Japanese  were  underground and  they  could  pop  out  anywhere  from  holes  in  the ground  to  shoot  Marines  in  the  back.  At  night,  the Marines  in  their  foxholes  could  hear  the  murmur  of Japanese  voices  moving  around  in  the  tunnel  passages below  them.  Night  was  the  scariest  time  for  the  Marines at  Iwo  because  that  was  when  the  Japanese  came  out to  search  for  food,  water  and  ammunition.  The  Marines  had  to  sleep  in  shifts.

Frank  was  twenty  years  old  when  he  left  home  in 1941  and  went  to  work  as  a  lumberjack  in  Nobleboro, New  York.  His  grandmother,  Elizabeth  Commanda, gave  him  a  string  of  wooden  Rosary  beads.  The  Rosary, she  told  him,  would  protect  him  on  his  journeys.  They did.  Frank  was  wounded  on  March  15, 1945.  After nineteen  days  of  constant  combat,  the  men  in  Frank’s unit  took  a  moment  to  relax.  A  hidden  Japanese  sniper took  aim  and  fired.  Frank  probably  heard  the  bang  when the  bullet  tore  into  his  steel  helmet.  The  bullet  ricocheted around  inside  Frank’s  helmet  and  cut  a  gouge  across his  scalp.  Frank  was  evacuated  back  to  the  beach  and the  next  day  he  was  safely  inside  a  hospital  ship.  Japan surrendered  on  August  9,  1945.  Frank  re-enlisted  with the  American  Occupation  Forces  in  Japan  and  served as  a  Military  Policeman  from  September  1946  to December  1947.  He  passed  away  in  1998.  The  Rosary beads  that  had  seen  Frank  through  an  odyssey  that took  him  from  River  Desert  to  the  Marine  Corps  base at  Parris  Island,  North  Carolina  and  then  on  to  the troopship  at  San  Francisco,  California  and  finally  across the  Pacific  Ocean  to  Japan  were  buried  with  him.  The Purple  Heart  decoration  he  received  for  wounds suffered  at  Iwo  Jima,  was embedded  into  his  military  headstone  at  the  Algonquin cemetery  on  Bitobi  Road.


The  Liberators

The  victorious  German  armies  conquered  France  in May  of  1940  and  sent  the  British  army  retreating  across the  English  Channel  The  United  States  joined  the  war in 1941,  after  the  Pearl  Harbour  attack.  Once  Japan declared  war  on  the  United  States,  so  did  Germany.  With America  in  the  war  and  on  the  side  of  the  Allies,  it  was only  a  matter  of  time  before  the  liberation  of  German controlled  Europe  began.  The  American,  British  and Canadians  forces  invaded  Italy  in  the  summer  of  1943, but  this  was  only  a  sideshow  for  the  real  invasion.  It  took the  Allies  in  England  four  years  to  build  up  the  men  and equipment  needed  to  fight  and  defeat  the  German  armies in  France.  On  the  morning  of  June  6,  1944,  the  Allied forces  landed  on  the  beaches  of  Normandy  to  start  the invasion  and  eventual  liberation  of  Europe.  It  took  the Allies  eleven  months  to  fight  their  way  from  Normandy all  the  way  into  Germany  and  end  the  war  in  1945.  The ifght  for  freedom  has  its  price.  These  following  profiles represent  the  soldiers’  experience  in  Europe.


Corporal  Sam  Cote, C121475. Le  Regiment  de  la   Chaudiere,  Normandy  & Northwest  Europe, 1944-1945.


Caporal Sam Cote

Sam  rarely  spoke  about  his combat   experiences   in Europe  during  the  Second World  War.  Sam  enlisted  on June  9, 1943,  at  Kingston, Ontario.  Exactly  one  year later,  Sam  landed  at  Normandy  and  was  sent  to  Le Regiment  de  la  Chaudiere,  or  the  Chaudieres,  as  they were  commonly  known  in  the  Canadian  military.  The Canadians  in  Normandy  went  up  against  the  12th  SS Hitlerjugend  Division,  the  most  fanatical  and  violent  of  all the  SS  divisions  in  Normandy.  The  12th  SS  Hitlerjugend (Hitler  Youth)  Division  was  made  up  of  teenagers;  all  of    them  were  eighteen  years  old  and  they  had  been indoctrinated  as  little  boys  in  Hitler’s  youth  camps  in Germany  to  hate  and  kill  Allied  soldiers  without  mercy. Sam  was  with  the  Chaudieres  in  the  murderous  battles  of Carpiquet  and  Caen  during  the  hot  July  of  1944.  At Carpiquet,  the  Chaudieres  had  to  battle  against  the  12th SS  in  ferocious  house  and  street  fighting.

According  to  an  account  left  behind  by  the  late  Paul-Armand  Cere  from  Maniwaki,  also  a  member  of  the Chaudieres,  Sam  frequently  went  out  on  night  patrols  into the  SS  lines.  Night  combat  was  Sam’s  forte,  but  he  never talked  about  it  after  the  war.  Sam  fought  all  through Normandy,  across  France  and  into  Belgium.  Sam  was wounded  in  Holland  in  April  1945.

The  wound  was  serious  enough  to  warrant  a  transfer to  a  military  hospital  in  England.  In  the  next  bed  over  was a  wounded  French-Canadien  soldier.  Sam  spoke  French and  while  they  were  conversing  one  day,  the  French-Canadien   soldier  proudly  showed  Sam  a  picture  of  his wife.  Sam  was  surprised  when  he  recognized  the  young woman  in  the  picture:  it  was  his  cousin  Marie  Brascoupe! The  French-Canadien  soldier  turned  out  to  be  Fernand Carriere  from  Ferme-Neuve,  Quebec,  whom  Sam  had never  met  before.  For  Sam,  this  remarkable  meeting  in an  English  hospital  with  a  “cousin-in-law”  he  never  knew was  the  highlight  of  his  European  experience,  the  one wartime  story  he  would  talk  about.


Author’s  note:  We  are  indebted  to  Mrs.  Eleanor  Cote,  Sams’ widow,  and  Mr  Russell  Cote,  Sam’s  son,  for  sharing  their memories  towards  the  writing  of  this  bio/profile.  Interviewing the  widow  of  a  veteran  is  always  hard.  The  long  moments  of silence  are  uncomfortable,  when  the  widow  has  to  pause  and collect  her  thoughts.  The  war  came  home  with  these  men  and it  was  their  wives  who  had  to  live  with  it  every  night.  A  story  is always  told  on  emotion  and  the  long  silences  were  the  most emotional.  Sometimes,  the  words  unsaid  are  the  most  powerful. In  the  end,  the  author  will  always  be  grateful  to  have  shared this  moment  with  them.


Private  Daniel Whiteduck,  C70377. Canadian  Forestry Corps.  Attached  to  Le Regiment  “22”,  the  Van Doos,  Northwest Europe  and  Germany, 1944-45.


Private Daniel Whiteduck

“I  had  a  nightmare  once  that  I  had  died  and  they  were putting  me  in  one  of  those  holes…  you  were  thankful  to come  back.  I  was  so  happy,  I  married  my  wife  in  1946.”

Dan  Whiteduck  quoted  on  his  military  experiences during  an  interview  in  1996.[1]

Dead  Canadian  soldiers  were  wrapped  in  their blankets  or  rain  ponchos  and  then  interred  in  shell  holes and  bomb  craters,  sometimes  as  many  as  fifteen  men to  a  hole.  The  army  chaplain  marked  the  graves onto maps.  After  the  war  was  over,  these  graves  were opened  and  the  bodies  exhumed  for  reburial  in  the  newly opened  Canadian  military  cemeteries  that  led  like  a  trail from  France  to  Belgium  to  Holland.  Many  Canadian soldiers,  like  Dan  Whiteduck,  probably  wondered  when their  time  would  come  to  be  buried  inside  a  shell  hole. In  April  of  1945,  the  Canadian  army  was  given  the  task of  liberating  Holland  while  the  American  and  British armies  fought  for  the  prize:  Germany.  Every  Canadian man  and  woman  who  was  there  was  affected  for  the rest  of  their  lives  by  what  they  saw  in  Holland.  The German  army  in  Holland  had  confiscated  all  of  the  food resources  from  that  country.  All  cattle,  livestock  and grain  were  sent  to  Germany  to  feed  its  own  population. The  Dutch  called  the  winter  of  1944-45  the  “turnip winter”  because  that  was  all  they  had,  and  even  that was  not  enough.  One  million  Dutch  civilians  starved  to death  that  winter,  and  when  the  Canadians  moved  into Holland  to  force  the  Germans  out,  they  were  shocked and  angry  to  find  Dutch  children  eating  hay,  leaves  and even  tulip  bulbs.   The  Canadian  soldiers  were  ordered by  their  officers  not  to  give  any  food  to  the  starving children.  The  reason  being  that  when  starved  human beings  are  suddenly  faced  with  food,  they  will  eat  and eat  until  their  stomachs  literally  burst,  or  their  hearts become  overworked  in  the  digestion  process  and  simply stop.  Starved  people  will  literally  eat  themselves  to death.  Canadian  army  nurses  were  immediately  flown in  from  England  and  Belgium  to  help  wean  the  starving children  into  eating  solid  food  again.  As  fast  as  the Canadians  liberated  a  town,  Allied  bombers  flew  over and  dropped  tons  of  food  supplies  and  medicines  by parachute  for  the  Canadian   nurses  to  begin administering  food  programs  for  the  Dutch  children.  The Canadian  soldiers  who  liberated  those  Dutch  towns  in the  spring  of  1945  never  forgot  the  Dutch  children, hundreds  of  them,  holding  their  hands  out  and  begging them  for  food.  Dan  was  there.  He  saw  this..[2] Some  of the  Canadian  soldiers  noticed  that  there  were  no  dogs or  cats  in  these  towns.  The  Dutch  had  eaten  them  all during  the  winter.

By  May  1,  1945,  the  fighting  in  Holland  was  nearly over.  The  German  garrisons  still  holding  out  there  would finally  capitulate  on  May  4, 1945.  Germany’s  final surrender  came  on  May  7,  1945.  Dan’s  regiment,  the Van  Doos,  were  diverted  from  Holland  and  sent  into Germany  as  part  of  the  post-war  occupation  forces. Inside  Germany,  the  Allies  found  hell  on  earth  when they  began  liberating  the  concentration  camps.  The  Van Doos  liberated  such  a  camp.  These  were  Jewish women.  Most  of  them  were  bald  because  their  hair  had fallen  out  from  malnutrition;  some  of  them  had  no  teeth. The  German  SS  prison  guards  had  already  fled  when they  heard  the  Canadian  tanks  coming.  When  the Canadians  broke  down  the  gates  and  entered  the  camp, they  were  greeted  by  an  eerie  silence.  Slowly,  faces began  to  peer  out  from  barrack  windows.  The  inmates began  to  come  out.  They  didn’t  speak;  they  couldn’t. Neither  could  Dan  and  his  comrades.  Slowly,  skeletal hands  began  to  reach  out  and  touch   the  Canadians. They  were  real.  The  Allies  had  finally  come  to  rescue them.  The  war  was  over.  When  Dan  Whiteduck  returned home  in  December  of  1945,  he  got  off  the  train  at Maniwaki  and  immediately  went  to  his  mother’s  house along  the  Gatineau  River.  Men  always  think  of  their mothers  when  they  are  in  war,  and  that  is  where  Dan went  first.  Dan  also  had  a  sweetheart  he  left  behind, and  he  went  looking  for  her  next.  He  married  his  girl Aline  and  they  were  together  for  the  next  fifty-five  years. They  raised  seven  girls  and  two  boys.


Private  Basil  Alias Odjick,  C52889.The  Royal  Regiment of  Canada.Killed in  Action, August  28,  1944.


Private Basil Alias Odjick

September  5,  1944:

 Marie  Odjck:

Minister  of  National Defence  deeply  regrets to  inform  you  that  C52889  Private  Basil  Alias Odjick  has  been  officially  killed  in  action  twenty-eight  August  1944  STOP  If  any  further information  becomes  available  it  will  be forwarded  as  soon  as  possible  STOP


Basil  was  twenty-three  years  old  when  he  decided to  join  the  Canadian  army  like  his  older  brother  six months  earlier.  Basil  left  his  lumberjack  job  at  Maniwaki one  day  in  February  of  1944,  said  goodbye  to  his pregnant

wife,  Marie,  and  their  two  young  children, Hector  Joseph,  4,  and   Kate  Ilda,  3,  and  took  the  train to  Ottawa  and  then  on  to  Kingston,  where  he  enlisted on  February  11,  1944.  He  wrote  his  will  the  next  day and  left  everything  to  his  wife.  He  took  his  basic  training at  Farnham,  Quebec.  On  June  27,  1944,  he  requested a  transfer  to  Kingston,  Ontario  to  join  his  older  brother Robert.  After  the  casualties  suffered  during  the  Great War,  where  brothers  fought  and  died  in  the  same  unit— and  whole  family  lines  with  them—this  request  was rightly  denied.  Basil  felt  close  to  his  older  brother because  they  had  been  through  residential  school together  from  1927  to  1936.  Indian  Agent  Gauthier  had sent  them  there  after  their  parents  had  temporarily separated.  Basil  was  seven  and  Robert  nine  when  they went  to  Spanish  Residential  School,  and  Robert  being two  years  older  was  Basil’s  best  friend  at  Spanish.  Basil sailed  from  Halifax  on  July  12, 1944,  and  landed  at Liverpool,  England  on  July  19,  1944.  Robert  landed  in England  sixteen  days  earlier,  but  the  two  brothers  were not  destined  to  meet  again,  because  Basil  received orders  to  sail  for  France  on  August  12,  1944.  Three days  later  he  was  posted  to  the  Royal  Regiment  of Canada  holding  the  line  outside  the  French  city  of Falaise  to  cut  off  the  German  Army’s  retreat  from Normandy.  At  nights,  they  watched  as  Allied  bombers dropped  hundreds  of  tons  of  bombs  and  incendiaries into  the  trapped  Germans.  On  August  26,  1944,  Paris was  liberated.  The  German  army  in  Normandy  retreated across  the  Seine  River  to  make  a  last  stand.

 To  the  Royal  Regiment  of  Canada  went  the  unfortunate  honour  of  participating  in  the  last  battle  of the  Normandy  campaign.  On  August  28,  1944,  the Royal  Regiment  of  Canada  was  ordered  to  outflank the  retreating  Germans  at  a  French  village  called  St. Ouen-de-Tilleul,  just  on  the  outskirts  of  Paris.  St.  Ouen-de-Tilleul  was  defended  by  a  detachment  of  German SS  troops  armed  with  rocket  launchers  and  anti-tank guns.  The  Royals  pushed  the  SS  out  of  St.  Ouen-de-Tilleul  that  afternoon.  Thirteen  Canadian  soldiers  were killed  in  the  street  fighting.  Basil  Odjick  was  one  of  them. A  German  shell  or  rocket  exploded  against  a  building, which  sent  masonry  and  bricks  hurtling  in  all  directions. A  brick  smashed  into  Basil  Odjick’s  steel  helmet, He  died  instantly.  In 1949,  the villagers  at  St.  Ouen-de-Tilleul  erected  a  memorial  to the  thirteen  Canadian  soldiers  who  died  liberating  their village  five  years  earlier.  Basil  Odjick’s  name  is  on  that memorial.  Private  Basil  Alias  Odjick,  C52889,  is buried  at  Bretteville-sur-Laize  Canadian  Military Cemetery,  Normandy,  France.


Trooper  Robert  Simon  Odjick, C122146.  The  Royal  Regiment  of Canada.  Died  of  Wounds, April  17,  1945.


Trooper Robert Simon Odjiclk

Robert  was  working  in  Port Colborne,  Ontario  when  he volunteered  for  military  service overseas.  He  took  the  train  to  Kingston,  Ontario  where he  enlisted  on  August  31,  1943.  He  wrote  his  will  two days  later,  leaving  all  of  his  earthly  possessions  to  his wife  Jeanne  in  Maniwaki.  They  had  three  children, Betsy,  4,  Simon,  2,  and  Freeda,  three  weeks  old.  Robert took  his  basic  training  at  Kingston,  Ontario,  where  he qualified  as  a  radio  operator.  He  was  fluent  in  three languages:  Algonquin,  French  and  English.  But  Robert did  not  want  to  be  a  radioman.  He  wanted  to  be  a machine  gunner  and  he  requested  of  his  commanding officer  that  he  be  given  an  opportunity  at  gunnery. Robert  passed  the  gunnery  course  and  became  a qualified  machine  gunner.  His  commanding  officer  noted that  Robert  was  cheerful,  intelligent  and  always  neat and  groomed,  as  his  portrait  shows.  Robert  sailed  from Halifax  on  June  25,  1944,  and  landed  at  Liverpool  on July  3, 1944.  Robert  was  sent  to  a  training  battalion where  he  remained  until  November  10,  1944,  when  he received  orders  to  sail  for  France.  On  November  14, Robert  was  sent  to  join  the  Royal  Regiment  of  Canada holding  the  Nijmegen  Salient  in  Holland.


Robert  wrote  home  regularly  to  his  wife  Jeanne and  to  his  mother  Katineen  Riel.  His  letters  were  always cheery  and  thoughtful,  never  letting  on  at  the  cold  and misery  he  and  his  comrades  were  enduring  at  the Nijmegen  Salient  over  the  winter  of  ’44-’45.  The Germans  were  defending  the  north  bank  of  the  Rhine River  and  some  nights  they  paddled  over  on  rubber rafts  to  raid  the  Royals’  positions.  When  the  Royals suspected  the  Germans  were  grouping  to  raid  their tines,  the  Vickers  machine  gunners,  Robert  included, pointed  their  weapons  and  let  loose  one  thousand rounds  over  the  river  that  arced  and  came  down  on  the German-held  bank.  But  Robert  never  wrote  about  any of  this  to  Jeanne.  Instead  he  asked  about  the  kids  and then  went  on  to  talk  about  the  weather.  In  February  of 1945,  Robert’s  letters  to  Jeanne  stopped  when  the Royals  went  into  action  at  the  Reichswald  Forest  on the  Dutch-German  border.  The  Germans  put  up  a  bitter fight.  The  fighting  lasted  the  whole  month  of  February and  into  early  March.  Robert’s  letters  to  Jeanne resumed  and  he  apologized  for  not  having  written  for so  long  but  admitted  that  they  had  been  through  a  “tough time.”  That  was  all.  He  then  told  Jeanne  about  his  leave in  Brussels  and  joked  that  the  beer  in  Belgium  is  “not as  good  as  our  stuff  back  in  Canada.”

The  Royal  Regiment  of  Canada  was  one  of  the infantry  regiments  of  the  2°d  Canadian  Division  assigned to  liberate  the  medieval  Dutch  city  of  Groningen.  The assault  was  set  for  April  14,  1945.  The  Royals  were moving  forward  to  their  jump-off  positions  at  a  little hamlet  called  Peelo  on  the  outskirts  of  Groningen.[3]   It was  April  13,  1945.  Most  of  the  men  were  marching, except  for  the  machine  gunners.  Because  they  were weighted  down  with  their  heavy  Vickers  machine  guns and  boxes  of  ammunition  belts,  they  hitched  rides  atop the  Sherman  tanks.  Robert  was  one  of  the  machine gunners  seated  atop  a  tank.  It  was  evening  when  the Royals  pulled  into  Peelo.  A  German  patrol  suddenly ran  into  a  Canadian  patrol.  Both  sides  opened  up.  The Royals  walked  into  the  crossfire.  A  burst  of  machine gun  fire  hit  Robert  in  the  stomach  and  groin.  He  was evacuated  to  a  Canadian  Field  Hospital,  where  he  died four  days  later  at  4:20  in  the  afternoon  of  April  17,  1945. He  was  twenty-seven  years  old.  His  personal  effects were  sorted  through  and  sent  home,  a  wristwatch, bracelet,  fountain  pen,  souvenir  coins,  coin  purse,  his marriage  certificate  to  Jeanne  and  the  three  baptismal certificates  of  his  children.  His  commanding  officer noted  that  Robert  was  one  of  the  best  soldiers  in  his company,  a  conscientious  man  who  did  his  job  well. Jeanne  received  the  telegram  on  April  23,  1945.

It  read:Regret  deeply  C122146  Private  Robert  Simon  Odjick has  now  been  officially  reported  to  have  died  of  wounds, seventeenth  April  1945  STOP  You  should  receive further  details  by  mail  direct  from  the  unit  in  the  theatre of  war  STOP[4]

 Trooper  Robert  Simon  Odjick,  C122146,  is  buried at  Holten  Canadian  Military  Cemetery,  the Netherlands.


Author’s  note:  This  account  is  as  accurate  as  the  writer/ researcher  team  could  narrow  it  down  to,  based  upon  the regimental  history  of  the  Royal  Regiment  of  Canada  and Roberts’  commanding  officer  who  wrote  oft  he  ambush  at  Peelo in  1945.  After  nearly  sixty  years,  the  trail  is  growing  coldf  or surviving  soldiers  of  the  Royal  Regiment  of  Canada  who  were there  at  Peelo  in  1945.  The  Royal  Regiment  of  Canada  held  a reunion  dinner  in  Toronto  on  November  8,  2003,  and,  at  the request  of  the  author  the  question  of  Robert  Simon  Odjick’s death  at  Peelo  was  put  forward  to  the  last  surviving  Royals  of World  War  Two.  Lieutenant  Peter  Boyle  of  the  Royal  Regiment of  Canada  explained  the  death  of  Robert  Odjick  to  the survivors.  No  one  remembered  him.  This  is  understandable. The  Royals  had  a  high  casualty  turnover  rate  all  through Normandy  and  into  Holland.  Boys  were  getting  killed  and woundedf  aster  over  there  than  they  could  be  replaced.  A  lot of  times,  these  guys  never  got  a  chance  to  know  each  other, not  even  casually.


The  Second  World  War,  fought  overseas  to overthrow  the  Nazi  Regime,  was  the  one  war  in  human history  that  had  to  be  fought,  because  it  was  a  war against  racial  intolerance.  The  Algonquin  men  and women  who  joined  the  fight  to  rid  the  world  of  tyranny were  second-class  citizens  in  their  own  country;  yet the  Second  World  War  was  a  political  awakening  for the  First  Nations  people  of  Canada.  After  the contributions  and  sacrifices  made  by  First  Nations soldiers  and  their  mothers  in  two  world  wars  for  Canada,     the  time  had  come  to  finally  speak  up.  First  Nation        soldiers  fought  to  liberate  Holland  and  save  the  Dutch children  from  starvation.  Robert  Simon  Odjick  died  in Holland.  Robert  Simon  was  the  son  of  William  Odjick, the  man  who  let  the  English  family  live  in  his  hunting shack  after  they  were  evicted  from  their  home  in Maniwaki.  “Mrs.  Sawn-sew!  Mrs.  Sawn-sew…”


[1] Virginia  Deschenes,  and  Brant  Davy,  ed.,  Kigitiziminanig  Kimadinamagonanig  (Kitigan  Zibi:  Kitigan  Zibi  Education  Council,  2000),  pp.  28-29.

[2] Personal  interview  with  Aline  Whiteduck,  wife  of  Daniel  Whiteduck.  In  a  February  15′,  2004,  interview  at  her  home,  Aline  spoke  of  Dan’s  memories  of Holland.

[3] Major  D.J.  Goodspeed,  Battle  Royal:  A  History  of  the  Royal  Regiment  of  Canada  (Brampton:  The  Royal  Regiment  of  Canada  Association,  1962), pp.558-559.

[4] The  writer/research  team  wishes  to  express  their  heartfelt  thanks  to  Jeanne  Odjick,  Robert  Simon’s  widow,  for  allowing  us  the  use  of  two  of  Robert Simon’s  letters  home  to  help  in  the  writing  of  his  profile.  Henriette  Morin-McGregor  remembers  Robert  Simon  coming  to  her  home  in  the  winter  of 1941  seeking  traditional  medicine  for  his  daughter  Betsy,  who  was  suffering  from  an  ear  infection.  Henriette’s  mother,  Delima  Commanda-Morin  made Robert  Simon  a  poultice  from  an  otter’s  tail.  Robert  walked  ten  kilometres  in  the  dead  of  winter  to  get  that  medicine  for  his  little  girl.


Source : McGregor, Stephen, Since Time Immemorial : «Our Story».  The Story of the Kitigan Zibi Anishinàbeg, Kitigan Zibi Education Council, Kitigan Zibi, 2004, p. 261 à 270.  With the permission du Kitigan Zibi Education Council.